Sports

Patil strikes controversy about Sachin, a miffed BCCI president slams him

Patil strikes controversy about Sachin a miffed BCCI president slams him pardesi news 1475039181

Patil, a former international cricketer, recently disclosed that the selection panel would have dropped Sachin Tendulkar before he eventually quit international cricket.

The former chief selector of cricket, Sandeep Patil recently created controversy by revealing that the Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar would have been dropped from India’s ODI team in 2012, if he had not announced his retirement. This was recently announced in a media interview. 

At the India's Test against England on December, 2012 in Nagpur, Patil has succeeded the former India wicketkeeper MSK Prasad. According to him, Sachin had no intentions of any retirement plan or to leave cricket.  He also informed that he also considered removing MS Dhoni from ODI captaincy ahead of the 2015 World Cup.

The selection committee of cricket had reportedly got into an agreement about Sachin and also had informed the board too about it. Perhaps Sachin assumed what was coming at the next meeting. So Sachin soon called and declared he was quitting (from ODIs) on December 23, 2012. He decided to retire from the One Day format of the game. He was 39 when he retired from ODIs.

BCCI president Anurag Thakur had slammed former selection committee chief Sandeep Patil, saying it was "unethical" on his part to reveal certain confidential details about Sachin Tendulkar, and others after his tenure ended earlier this month. "Let me make it very clear. Sandeep, being a former chairman, should not have made these comments. When he was the chairman, he replied differently to the same questions. But after that [his tenure], it was different. It was totally unethical of him to do that," said Thakur adding,  "One should refrain from making such unethical and unwanted comments in this area [selection matters]. It is because he has been trusted to become the chairman, because he has played enough cricket. There were four more selectors with him; they did not say anything. He should have avoided that".

Thakur went to the extent of saying such a breach of confidentiality would make it difficult for any of future employers of Patil to trust him. 'Any organisation, if they hire Patil, will think 10 times that after leaving the organisation, he will  speak about the organization”. Asked whether any action was being contemplated by the BCCI against Patil over the breach of confidentiality, he said, "The right people in the BCCI will speak to him soon."

Patil's four-year tenure ended when the panel announced the 15-man squad for the ongoing Test series against New Zealand.

The Master Blaster also hailed as the God of Cricket ended his memorable 24-year journey to international cricket in November 2013.  

About the author

Patrick Callahan

Pardesi News Reporter

Pardesi News Reporter

Leave a Comment

Select your Current City